You may qualify for a scholarship deferment if several conditions are met. You must be awarded a scholarship that can be deferred (not all scholarships qualify). You must attend ASU in the fall semester following your high school graduation and be meeting the renewal criteria at the time of your departure.Acceptable reasons for requesting a deferment are:
Unacceptable reasons are:
- non-ASU sponsored study abroad programs
- non-ASU sponsored internship programs
- religious missions
- U.S. military service. View ASU's Veteran Commitment Plan for more details.
- other requests (i.e., medical leave) as determined by special review
To qualify for the deferment you must meet scholarship renewal criteria:
- voluntary non-enrollment, including financial hardship
- transfer to another university
- leave of absence longer than two years, except for religious missions
To apply for the deferment:
- NAmU recipients must complete 30 ASU credit hours for the academic year with a minimum 3.00 ASU cumulative GPA. Those who attend for only one semester in the academic year must complete 15 ASU credit hours with a minimum 3.00 ASU cumulative GPA in the semester prior to departure.
- Obama Scholars and College Attainment Grant Program participants must complete 24 ASU credit hours for the academic year with a minimum 2.50 ASU cumulative GPA. Those who attend for only one semester in the academic year must complete 12 ASU credit hours with a minimum 2.50 ASU cumulative GPA in the semester prior to departure.
- other applicable qualifying criteria located on the ASU Deferment Policy webpage
Related Article: How Do I Reinstate My Scholarship?Need additional help?
- complete the Scholarship Deferment Application eForm
- the deferment option may not be applicable to private donor scholarships, please refer to all qualifying criteria located on the eForm
- upload a personal statement explaining your reason for requesting a deferment
- upload the required documentation supporting the reason for scholarship deferment
- submit it to Financial Aid and Scholarship Services no later than 30 days prior to the start of the semester of the requested leave of absence
Access 24/7 live chat, create a case from My ASU Service Center
or call 855-278-5080.