Search by Category

Campus Services
Can't find what you need?
Contact Us
Knowledge Base  

How do I change my preferred display name?

« Go Back


Functional GroupRegistrar

ASU students may choose to use a preferred first name that differs from their legal name. A student's preferred name will appear instead of the person's legal name in select ASU systems and documents. 

Add or Update your Preferred Name: To review and update your Preferred Name, please visit

  • Preferred First Name form submissions may not be immediately reflected in university communications including emails, SMS text messages and more. 

  • It can take up to 72 hours for your preferred name to display in the various ASU systems. Preferred Display Name is not visible to those with My ASU Guest Access. 

Your Preferred Name will not print on your diploma. Submit a Diploma Name request instead.  

A change to your preferred display name will update some ASU systems, but not others. Systems updated with the Preferred Name include:
ApplicationName Updated
Active Directory/Outlook Global Address List (GAL)Yes
ASU Mobile (Achievement App)Yes
DARS (Degree Audit Reporting System)Yes
Email Name (Outlook and Gmail)Yes 
Google AppsYes 
iSearch/ASU DirectoryYes
Appointment SchedulerYes
FinancesUpdated on select pages
Grade RosterYes
Health ServicesYes
Housing Yes
My ASU Updated on select pages
My ASU Class RosterYes
PeopleSoft HRNo
PeopleSoft Student RecordsUpdated on select pages
SalesforceUpdated on select pages
Sun CardYes (replacement fee applies 
if card was previously issued)
Sun Devil Fitness CenterNo

Note: ASU reserves the right to monitor preferred name selections and frequency of submissions, remove the name, and revert back to the previous name, when the selections are deemed inappropriate or when improper purposes are determined. Students and employees may be subjected to disciplinary action in accordance with applicable relevant policies.

Legal Name Change: In order to change your legal name and update your name in all ASU systems, submit a Student Name Change form. This is a formal legal name change form and will permanently update your name on all platforms and will be visible on iSearch and to those with My ASU Guest Access.

If you have questions or need additional information, please contact University Registrar Services at or 480-965-3124.


Was this article helpful?