Respondus LockDown Browser
(RLDB) is a custom Internet browser for taking tests, quizzes, and exams. Your instructor may choose to use RLDB in your online courses. Respondus Monitor
is the companion product that uses your webcam to observe you while taking your test.Please note
: You must install or update RLDB prior to taking a test that requires RLDB. For installation and update instructions, please see How To Install Respondus LockDown Browser
How will I know if my test requires Lockdown Browser or a Webcam? Your test will display the message as shown below:
Taking a test with Respondus LockDown Browser.
Take Your Exam on Campus
- Always update RLDB before starting and exam.
- It is strongly recommended that you use an Ethernet connection (wired) with a minimum speed of 512 Kpbs to take online exams. Wireless, UBS modem, laptop connect card, iPad app, or mobile hotspot connections may cause problems due to dropped/interrupted connections.
- Close all applications and programs, unless one is used to connect you to the Internet.
- Open LockDown Browser on your computer.
- If prompted, close other programs (e.g. screen capture, instant messaging).
- Login to your Canvas course.
- Navigate to the test and begin.
- If the instructor requires a test password, a new window will appear asking for the exam password. Enter the password provided by your instructor and select Begin Exam.
- The exam will open. You cannot exit RLDB until the exam has been submitted.
Some buildings on ASU campuses are equipped with RLDB and Monitor for your use.
- University Center (UCNTRA)
- Academic Center (CNTR)
- Agribusiness (AGBC)
- Simulator (SIM)
- Business Administration C (BAC) 106
- Coor Hall (COOR) 150
- Computing Commons (CPCOM) 1st Floor
- Goldwater Center (GEC) 185
What if I see a blank screen or RLDB stops responding?
- Fletcher Library (FLHLB)
- Las Casas Residential Hall
If the LockDown Browser stops responding before starting an exam, or if you see a blank page that fills the computer screen, this could be due to security windows that have popped up behind the LockDown browser.
Related article: How To Install and Troubleshoot Respondus LockDown BrowserNeed additional help?
- If you have not started the exam, close the browser and close the security pop-up windows. You should be able to reopen the browser without issue.
- If the exam has been started, the only known workaround is to restart the computer, address the pop-up windows, and attempt to complete the exam.
Access 24/7 live chat, or create a case from your My ASU Service Center
, or call 855-278-5080.