ASU encourages you and your parents to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to import data from your and your parent's tax return to your initial FAFSA
or when correcting your FAFSA. It is the fastest, easiest and most secure method of meeting verification requirements. Watch a short video
on how to use the IRS DRT on the FAFSA.
- Instantly retrieve an online copy by visiting the IRS Get Transcript website and selecting the Get Transcript Online button.
This online tool requires you register before submitting a transcript request. The user must have the following:
a) a readily available email address
b) your Social Security number
c) your filing status and address from your last-filed tax return
d) a readily available mobile device
• for instant access, your name must be associated with a U.S.-based mobile phone capable of receiving text messages
• if the mobile phone number cannot be linked to your name, you may opt for a mailed activation code during registration
e) your personal account number from one of the following:
• credit card
• home mortgage loan
• home equity (second mortgage) loan
• home equity line of credit (HELOC)
• car loan
(The IRS does not retain this data)
Your financial account number and mobile number will be verified with Equifax, a credit-reporting agency. If you have a credit security freeze with Equifax, you must request a temporary freeze lift
until you've successfully registered or the IRS will not be able to verify your identity. Be sure to contact Equifax to resume the freeze unless you scheduled it to resume automatically.
During the registration process, the IRS will send the user a confirmation code via email and an authentication code via text. The IRS email and text will contain a one-time code that the user will use to finalize the Get Transcript Online registration. A tax filer who is not able to successfully register for the Get Transcript Online tool will be able to request a tax return transcript using one of the other methods below.
- Request a Tax Return Transcript to be mailed to you by clicking the Get Transcript by Mail button. Once requested, it will take 7 to 10 business days to receive by mail.
- Call 1-800-908-9946 and use the IRS automated phone system to request your 2018 TRT to be mailed to you. Once requested, it will take 7 to 10 business days to receive by mail.
- Print the IRS Form 4506T-EZ form the IRS website. Important details are listed below.
- Complete lines 1 through and enter your 10 digit ASU ID number on line 5 (i.e., customer file number).
- On line 6, enter the tax year 2018 for the 2020-2021 award year.
- Then, sign and submit to the IRS. After the IRS processes your IRS Form 4506T-EZ, the tax Return Transcript will be mailed to you in 7 to 10 business days.
If you have additional questions about Tax Return Transcript, please call the IRS at 800-829-3676 or visit the IRS FAQ website