Search by Category

Campus Services
Can't find what you need?
Contact Us
Knowledge Base  

What Non-Citizen Statuses Are Not Eligible for Financial Aid?

« Go Back


Functional GroupFinancial Aid
The documentation listed below is NOT acceptable proof of an eligible non-citizen status for federal student aid purposes:
  • Social Security card
  • driver's license
  • Form I-171 or I-464 Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence
  • Form I-485 Application for Permanent Resident Status or Adjust Status 
  • Form I-688 Temporary Residents who live and work in the U.S. under the Legalization or Special Agricultural Worker program
  • Form I-688A, I-688B or I-766 Employment Authorization card or documentation
  • Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) documentation (i.e., I-94 stamped DACA, I-797 Receipt or Approval Notice for DACA)  
  • Non-immigrant VISA, including but not limited to:
    • A-2 or A-3 VISA (foreign official, including attendants)
    • B-1 or B-2 VISA (business or tourism visitor)
    • F-1, F-2 or M-1 VISA (foreign student)
    • G series VISA (pertaining to international organizations)
    • H or L series VISA (allows temporary employment in the U.S.)
    • J-1 or J-2 VISA (exchange visitor)
    • N VISA (NATO)
    • R VISA (temporary religious worker)
    • U VISA (Form I-918 victims of certain criminal activity)
  • Form I-817 Application or Approval for Family Unity Benefits
  • Illegal aliens under the legalization (also called the amnesty) program established by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (IRCA)
  • I-94 forms stamped with Temporary Protected Status (code TPS)
  • Withholding of removal order issued by an immigration judge or by the Board of Immigration Appeals

Related Articles:
Need additional help? Access 24/7 live chat, create a case from My ASU Service Center or call 855-278-5080.


Was this article helpful?