Search by Category

Campus Services
Can't find what you need?
Contact Us
Knowledge Base  

Why Can't I Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool on the FAFSA?

« Go Back


Functional GroupFinancial Aid
There are certain situations where the IRS DRT will not work on the FAFSA on the web.
  • You or your parent(s) marital status changed since filing the tax return.
  • You or your parent(s) are married and used a “married filing separately” tax return filing status.
  • You or your parent(s) filed a Puerto Rican or foreign tax return.
  • You or your parent(s) do not have a Social Security number.
  • Your parents' marital status is "unmarried and both parents living together" and they did not file a joint tax return.
More detailed information can be found on the Federal Student Aid website. If the IRS DRT will not work, you and/or your parent(s) can print and complete the IRS Form 4506T-EZ Short Form Request for Individual Tax Return Transcript form the IRS website.  You can then sign and submit to the IRS.

Related Article: How Do I Request a Tax Return Transcript From the IRS?

Need additional help?
Access 24/7 live chat, create a case from My ASU Service Center or call 855-278-5080.


Was this article helpful?